Friday, June 27, 2014

Pay It Forward...with Art


Yesterday at the lovely gardens of Happy Herbs Soap at Two Crow Cottage, the Arty Tea Party gang dabbled in Water Color Batik on Unryu Paper.  This lovely paper is light weight and translucent with fibers, and is quite strong. 

Under the instruction of our Dear Rosebud Sandy, we took the watercolor to the paper, brushed on spots of melted soy wax, more watercolor layers...and while hanging to dry, we eat, drink and become quite merry...(Sangria helped with the merry part).  
This is my first layer of watercolor.

My next layer after I brushed and blotted abit of wax.
This was such a fun project because I am not a painter.  I also cannot draw.  I am missing the part of the brain that sees with depth and detail.  I am more abstract with my art, and this was perfect because you really can't mess this up.  Just splash some paint around, splash some wax around...more paint...WAX ON...WAX OFF!  The final step after all the paint layers is to iron the wax off between layers of newspaper.  You are left with a very soft see-thru work of art.  I'm going to make a card out of mine.  Easy peasy! 


These are the two I made.  I like them!
For more of the Water Color Batik, visit the ARTY TEA PARTY blog!

And now, because I am in such a happy state, I wanted to share a new project I have signed onto!
PAY IT FORWARD ART MAKING PROJECT 2014.

I promise to make a small work of art for the first five people who comment on this post and say “YES, I want in”. A ‘like’ alone is not enough of a commitment, nor is a comment about thinking Pay It Forward is a great idea. You must in turn post this as your status update and make something for the first five who comment on your status. The rules are simple: – It has to be your work, made by you, and the recipient must receive it before 2014 ends. – It can be anything art-based: a drawing/illustration or a conceptual work of art, a photograph, a knitted item, cross-stitch, paper maché – or anything in between. I’m paying this forward thanks to Deborah Weber.  

Perhaps a Water Color Batik card is in your future...ALOHA!!!



4 comments:

  1. so pretty. very cheerful. love the colors. what a great way to pay it forward. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project. I can not draw either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you created and I'm going to seriously think about this as time is such a precious commodity at the moment. (My daughter and grand any are here) I love the idea of paying it I forward. I will definitely be back-I can't draw either. (Sad face)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Vicki - these are seriously wonderful! I'm so adding this to my list of things to explore. I love how wax turns things translucent but it never occurred to me to pair it with watercolors. Double the fabulousity.

    ReplyDelete